Luis Marín Tobar
Languages: Spanish and English
LUIS MARIN TOBAR is a Partner of Lexvalor Lawyers, in the Competition, Intellectual and Corporate (M&A) practices.
His legal practice is focused on competition, intellectual property and corporate and transactional advice to national and foreign companies.
In his competition practice he advises clients on abuse of market power, restrictive agreements and practices, cartels, and merger control notifications, where he has successfully cleared more than 25 transactions notified to the Competition Authority, including negotiation and execution of behavioral and structural remedies.
In his intellectual property practice he advises clients in strategical development of intellectual property portfolios, , maintenance and litigation in Ecuador and the region. He provides assistance in the implementation of intellectual property agreements including Franchising, distribution and licensing of intellectual property rights. He has extensive experience in the implementation of actions against anticounterfeiting and piracy ¡ in administrative and judicial forums.
He has been recognized and recommended by Chambers & Partners, The Legal 500, Who's Who Legal, World Trademark Review (WTR 1000), Leaders League, and is a “LACCA approved” lawyer in competition and intellectual property in Ecuador.
Before joining Lexvalor Abogados, he was as senior associate of a large local firms and has international experience as an foreign associate of White & Case in Brussels in 2013, as a member of the competition dispute resolution team, where he participated in cases before the European Commission and Court of Justice of the European Union.
- UNIVERSIDAD SAN FRANCISCO DE QUITO, SCHOOL OF LAW, Quito, Ecuador (2007). LLB, JD - Minor in International Relations.
- GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY, Munich, Germany (2008). Summer Program, Max Planck Institute of Intellectual Property.
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY LAW CENTER, Washington D.C., USA (2009) LLM - Concentration in International IP and Competition law. Completed certificate in Foundations of American Law and Legal Education.
- KINGS COLLEGE LONDON SCHOOL OF LAW, London, UK (2012). Postgraduate Diploma in Economics for Competition Law.
- Senior Associate. Perez Bustamante & Ponce, Quito - Ecuador (July 2010 - November 2019).
- International Associate at White & Case LLP, Brussels - Belgium. (April 2013 - December 2013).
- Associate Lawyer in Marín Proaño & Asociados, Quito - Ecuador (November 2007 - July 2009).
- Legal Assistant at Falconi Puig Abogados, Quito- Ecuador (March 2007 - November 2007).
- President of the Intellectual Property Committee of the Ecuadorean-American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM) (2019 - 2020).
- Vice President of the Intellectual Property Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) (2018 - 2020).
- Member of the Ecuadorian Intellectual Property Association (AEPI), International Trademark Association (INTA), Marques, Inter-American Intellectual Property Association (ASIPI), Internationale Association for the Protection of Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI).
- Board member of the Ecuadorian American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM).
- Member of the IEPI Intellectual Property Committee (administrative highest appellate court) (2014-2017).
- Intellectual Property
- Mergers & Acquisitions